This Advocacy and Campaigns Manager will have as a main purpose to ensure and cover the influencing objective JOBfor the whole programme of Oxfam in Senegal. This role will provide technical assistance to the Oxfam country team, local partners and allies in a strategic manner, whether virtually for staff in remote areas and through face-to-face communications.
The specific objective of the role is to develop and implement a clear country influencing strategy for the transformation of programmes. This will be done though influencing and supporting country teams to increase the impact of the Oxfam country programme at scale and bring change (in policy, practice, believes and/or attitude). This change will be driven by new resource strategies, partnerships relations and ways of working that will extend and amplify programme outcomes.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES (Technical, Leadership, People and Resource management)
Strengthen the vision and leadership for influencing in Senegal
- Responsible for providing overview and strategic direction of campaign and policy work in the Country, proposing future vision of campaigning and advising the HOPI on planning, prioritisation and resourcing of campaign and policy work.
- Working with the HOPI, the Programme Managers and Regional Campaign Leads to identify campaigning priorities and develop a campaign plan (covering popular campaigning-public mobilisation and associated movement building-, lobbying, research and media work) for the country in line with country programmes and policy priorities.
- Oversee the development of country communications strategy (working with the Regional Media Officer and the country Information and Communications Officer).
- Identify and coordinate support with the HOPI for the translation of the OCSs into effective influencing programme designs and proposals.
- Support the HOPI to develop appropriate ways of working that will ensure that they are externally focused and tuned to developments within their context ensuring the development of appropriate behaviours for influencing.
- In collaboration with the Head of Programme and Influencing, ensure that the country programme is implemented consistently and coherently to promote collaboration, knowledge sharing and accountability across the whole organisation.
- Strengthen the relevance, legitimacy and downward accountability of our global influencing initiatives.
- Provide support to the Country Director and HoPI by staying abreast of and adjust to changing circumstances and understandings regarding international interventions and practices and anticipate, analyse and manage highly complex and diverse public policy issues and programme strategy, ensuring that Oxfam in Senegal and approaches include the latest thinking.
- Promote a culture shift in how the influencing team bring their skills together with the programmes team to achieve the change at national level.
Lead influencing programme development and delivery
- Provide guidance to the country team on good practice around power analysis, evidence based advocacy, public campaigning, effective messaging, risk assessment and ensuring the creation of clear and accessible tools and resources for teams to maximize their programme impact through Worldwide Influencing Network (WIN).
- Work with country researcher and Country Program Managers to develop possible new campaigns
- Work closely with HOPI, and Country Programme Managers to ensure effective delivery of campaigns and associated plans
- In collaboration with the Digital in Programmes Advisor, explore the use of digital technology in our potential campaigning to scale up programme ambitions in this area.
- Support the programme to develop effective alliances, networks, partnerships with multiple stakeholders for the effective delivery of campaign goals ensuring linkages at regional and global level.
- Provide high level technical advice and support to managers on all policy issues and facilitate the development of quality policy papers.
- As spokesperson for high-level lobbying/media work, manage external relations and public perception in addition to supporting wide dissemination of Oxfam’s policy positions, facilitating networking and ensuring that the organization has the necessary information to engage in influencing activities.
- In line with country ambitions to engage with regional and global campaign initiatives and facilitate the development of influencing initiatives that where possible, connect to regional office, and OI Global Influencing teams.
- Ensure that all public engagements are carried out in a consistent manner, protecting and promoting the brand and identity of Oxfam in all spheres - public messaging, communications materials, publications, media engagement, lobbying actions and public actions undertaken by Oxfam in Senegal.
- Ensure adequate resourcing allocated within budgets to scale up influencing at national level and support initiatives for resource mobilisation.
- Drive the Development of approaches to monitoring and evaluation/impact assessment of campaigns and ensure effective roll-out.
- Build relationships with external stakeholders and allies to increase influencing impact.
Build country team capacity and autonomy on influencing
- Work closely with HR to strengthen how influencing is embedded in country roles and HR systems (Job Descriptions, Annual Performance Objectives, Annual Performance Review, recruitment and induction processes)
- Support the CLT to identify critical influencing capacity gaps among the country staff and partners and develop a plan of action to support the development of such capacities.
- Build capacity of country teams and partners on range of campaigns and advocacy methodology and tools that can be applied in programme activities.
- Ensure the delivery of the Oxfam internal change agenda on influencing
- Explore opportunities for regional engagement/programmes that add value to the achievement of the country programme goals.
- Promote the integration of women’s rights into national influencing strategies when possible.
- Provide specialist advice on in-country public media, communications and campaigns capacity.
People development and management
- Ensures that his/her team member have access to staff development opportunities, identifies/addresses capacity gaps and provides on-going counselling and support to his/her team member.
- Manage and support the Media and Communication Officer and the Research Officer to deliver the Influence Strategy aligned with the OCS, providing leadership, inspiration and guidance and ensuring that the management of the team is in line with Oxfam’s HR policies and procedures.
- With support from Human Resources Manager, manages the life cycle of individuals within the team from pre-recruitment to exit, including performance management processes, people’s development and working with HR on issues such as disciplinary matters among others.