New Incentives uses a cost-effective, evidence-based approach to increase routine childhood vaccinations in northern Nigeria, a region with some of the highest child mortality rates and lowest childhood vaccination rates in the world. Working within government clinics and in conjunction with existing programs, New Incentives provides small cash incentives to caregivers after their infant has received the latest round of vaccinations while also raising awareness about vaccinations and supporting vaccine supply efforts. New Incentives has been named a top charity by Givewell for two years in a row.
New Incentives is seeking a (Senior) Communications & Development Associate to support the organization in raising its profile, building its communications assets, and achieving its fundraising goals during a period of rapid growth and expansion. This role will be responsible for developing strong written and visual assets, managing social media channels, coordinating donor recognition and communications, and promoting positive and sustained overall engagement with key audiences –including donors, funders, government stakeholders, staff, and peer organizations.
The perfect candidate is a self-starter with exceptional writing, editing, and digital skills, as well as excellent donor communications skills. Success in this role will require a passion for the mission and model, a high level of flexibility, strong organizational skills, as well as excitement to contribute new ideas in a dynamic, start-up environment. Experience working in global health, effective global development, and/or effective altruism is a plus.
- Write and facilitate the review of communications materials, such as impact reports, newsletters, blog posts, social media posts, and the annual report
- Contribute to and help execute New Incentives’ communications strategy and messaging, including cultivating New Incentives’ voice through its website, blog, social media platforms, published articles, and other communications avenues
- Edit communications products to ensure quality, accuracy, and relevance for target audiences
- Oversee the creation of a quarterly social media content calendar
- Strategically update Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn pages with relevant, shareable content appropriate for each medium; engage daily with followers
- Maintain weekly and monthly statistics for website, e-newsletter and appeals and social media
- Develop and execute strategies to increase social media engagement and overall effectiveness
- Propose and execute updates to website and publications to ensure content is fresh, timely, and relevant
- Support senior leadership with talking points and other materials for high-level meetings with policymakers, partners, and funders as needed
- Support the development of communications assets including photo libraries, master pitch decks, graphics, and other assets (including hiring freelancers)
- Attend weekly meetings as an engaged, collaborative member of the team
- Conduct preliminary research on prospects to assist with the identification of potential funding opportunities
- Support the publication and distribution of the annual report and other communications to donors
- Coordinate donor recognition, ensuring gift receipts are sent in a timely manner and providing support to leadership for personal acknowledgments
- Draft acknowledgment letters and other donor correspondence as needed
- Provide high-quality, courteous, and rapid customer service to prospects, donors, and others who engage with New Incentives
- Assist with various aspects of proposal development and donor reporting as required (e.g., organizing supporting documents, coordinating due dates and timelines)
- Execute the administration of various tasks related to donation processing and acknowledgement: coordinate gift documentation and reporting in collaboration with accounting team; ensure the accurate entry and timely processing of donation data into database, and share timely acknowledgements to donors
- Update supporter information with a goal of having as complete and accurate records as possible
- Field calls from retail donors and act as first point of contact for donor questions concerning their contributions
- Manage relationships with printers, and maintain, redesign, or reorder supplies such as business cards when necessary
Qualifications and skills
- A strong passion for and commitment to the organization’s mission, goals, and accomplishments
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, international development, public health, public policy, or other relevant field required
- At least two years of relevant work experience; four for Senior Associate level
- Strong written and oral English communications skills, including writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated excellent social media skills (namely Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn)
- Strong technical skills and willingness to learn new software programs and applications
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships with supervisor, co-workers, and other staff and freelancers
- Experience working with Webflow or similar web design platforms a plus
- Basic photography, photo editing, and video editing skills a plus
- Cross-cultural experience a plus
- Experience using an email marketing platform a plus (preferably MailChimp)
What you can expect from this role:
- An opportunity to work with an innovative team that is recognized as one of the most cost-effective charities in the world
- A challenging role where your abilities will lead to material change and personal growth
- An opportunity to work with a highly accountable and passionate team
- A healthy work-life balance
- The flexibility to work remotely
- A position with significant growth opportunities
We invite applicants who are highly motivated, detail oriented, and have demonstrated a good fit with the organization's principles of accountability, diligence, and cost-effectiveness. In this role, you will receive significant responsibility and will be responsible for delivering consistently. This role is only for those who are able to meet the challenges of a quickly growing organization running a pioneering program with unique execution. If you succeed in this role, there will be significant opportunities to grow.
Deadline for the application is 15 April, 2022.
New Incentives is committed to the principles of Equal Employment Opportunity for making employment decisions based on merit and value. We are committed to complying with all federal, state, and local laws providing Equal Employment Opportunities, as well as all laws related to terms and conditions of employment. We desire to maintain maintain a work environment free of harassment or discrimination due to race, sex, color, religion, disability, national origin, or age.
Nothing contained in this job description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.