Location: Remote working
Responsible to: Director of communications
Manages: Consultants as needed
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Global Fishing Watch offers pension/retirement, health and other benefits commensurate with similar level employees in the country of employment.
Working Hours: Global Fishing Watch supports flexible working; hours may vary according to operational and personal needs. The organization works across different time zones and weekend work may be required on occasion. The post holder will be required to undertake periodic domestic and international travel. No overtime is payable.
Holiday: Paid holiday/vacation commensurate with other, similar-level employees in the country of employment.
Equal opportunities: Global Fishing Watch is an equal opportunities employer. We hire and promote qualified professionals without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We believe that our mission is best advanced when welcoming the contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees of Global Fishing Watch and our partners, vendors, suppliers and contractors.
The communications function is a core strategic component of Global Fishing Watch’s program, integral to generating public visibility, political support, and building an international constituency for the organization and greater transparency in global fisheries. The communications team is focused on driving impactful messaging, generating targeted media coverage and engagement that promotes transparency as integral to responsible stewardship of our ocean, and positioning Global Fishing Watch as a leading authority and partner of choice for data-led transparency in global fishing activity.
The website manager will be responsible for the strategic development and maintenance of our website. This involves setting the website vision, roadmap development and managing the functionality backlog. The website manager will collaborate with colleagues to ensure that timely, cost-effective, and user-friendly functionality and content is delivered to meet our objectives. The position will service website-specific requests, ensuring work adheres to brand guidelines, and manage our digital asset management system. The website manager will liaise with content owners across various teams to encourage awareness and a sense of responsibility towards making sure web pages are relevant and maintained in a timely manner. The ability to deliver a site that is visually appealing, scientifically accurate, and as pertinent and interesting as possible for our audiences is essential.
The successful candidate must have delivered sites to web standards and usability best practices, providing a strong understanding of SEO, accessibility and what a first-class user experience looks like. They will be comfortable managing creative and web development agencies and possess a working knowledge of digital analytics, key metrics and evaluating online activities. Experience using WordPress or similar CMS would be a strong advantage. In addition to technical knowledge, the website manager will possess excellent organizational and time management skills. An effective communicator, this individual is expected to engage with key internal and external stakeholders to achieve organizational goals.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
- Overall management of the Global Fishing Watch website. This includes managing the website ecosystem, maintaining and improving content, managing related agencies and acting as an advocate for best website practice.
- Lead the development and delivery of the organization’s website strategy and contribute to the wider digital roadmap.
- Lead the development of website design and development plans and write functional requirement documents and specifications.
- With external agency or contractor support, research and implement WordPress plugins and modules that will improve website structure and usability, manage fixes and oversee secure and stable hosting.
- Create quality mockups, wireframes and prototypes on tight timelines.
- Collaborate with engineering and product teams to integrate Global Fishing Watch’s tools into the website, creating a seamless experience for users.
- Service website requests from across the organization, from concept to delivery, providing channel expertise and advice.
- Publish content, build and update web pages using WordPress or similar website content management system.
- Lead and/or support the communications team on digital marketing, including SEO optimization, Google Ads, social media and paid advertising.
- Lead the development, implement updates to GFW’s digital asset management system and train users as needed.
- Manage positive internal and external relationships to ensure work is delivered on time, within budget and in line with organizational objectives.
- Work closely with internal teams to further develop and maintain the website help section, specifically the FAQ and tutorials.
- Ensure user-centric content, journeys and functionality that is delivered to meet organizational goals as well as accessibility and compliance standards.
- Maintain graphic and branding standards throughout the website.
- Proactively analyze and report on website performance, working with other stakeholders to build a clear picture of our website performance and user experience.
- Direct testing plans in order to evaluate innovative approaches for audiences to engage with our website and projects.
- Stay abreast of new and emerging online technologies.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years of work experience in web development; 2 years experience as website manager desirable.
- Strong experience of digital project management/product ownership (can include websites, mobile apps and other digital products).
- Strong understanding of the entire web development process in a collaborative environment, including design, development and deployment, with some back-end knowledge.
- Experience of running sites in WordPress or an equivalent CMS, as well as software programs like the Adobe Creative Suite. Outstanding attention to detail in all aspects of project management, from high-level project goals to technical quality assurance.
- Experience in relationship-management and liaison with project stakeholders.
- Ability to see the ‘bigger picture’ of projects, from a user-engagement perspective, and also from the viewpoint of the organization’s strategic goals.
- Experience in leading external vendors and freelancers.
- Strong knowledge of web usability and accessibility.
- Ability to work quickly and efficiently to a very high standard of detail.
- Ability to take ownership of projects and communicate project updates to stakeholders in a transparent and proactive manner.
- Excellent communication skills across internal/external stakeholders
- Ability to manage multiple priorities under tight deadlines while performing in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- An understanding of the complexities and internal communications surrounding collaboration in a global matrix and remote organization.
- Highly organized, analytical, detail oriented and self-motivated.
- Native or working proficiency in English language is required; Spanish language proficiency is desired.
Please apply by Friday, 16 September.
See more jobs at Global Fishing Watch
Apply for this job