We are looking for our 30 x 30 Campaign Leader to help us achieve a fundamental objective for the Med Sea Alliance: advance the 30x30 target in the Mediterranean Sea.
The goals of the campaign are to: accelerate progress to ensure that 10% of the Mediterranean Sea is highly protected by 2030; accelerate progress to ensure 30% of the Mediterranean Sea is protected and that this 30% includes priority habitats; improve the effectiveness of Marine Protected Areas by ensuring they have management plans and adequate measures in place which are properly enforced and funded.
To support the achievement of these objectives, the Med Sea Alliance is looking for a full-time Campaign Leader who will be responsible for the building, expansion, oversight and coordination of an impactful 30x30 initiative in the Mediterranean.
The successful candidate will have excellent leadership and campaigning skills, strong track record in project management and acquisition and be able to work with a dispersed and diverse multinational team.
Excellent knowledge of biodiversity and marine protected areas fields and related policy is key. Experience of working in international initiatives, coalitions, partnerships or projects involving multiple stakeholders is essential.
Interpersonal skills, adaptability, public facing and negotiation talents are important.
The Campaign Leader is a key team member of the Med Sea Alliance Coordination team, consisting of the Director, Communications Director and Project Manager.
- Design a 30x30 Vision for the Mediterranean Sea, lay the foundations for a 30x30 Campaign Strategy and create a broader movement in the region together with the Med Sea Alliance members/partners and other key players in the basin.
- Align the 30x30 Campaign Strategy with the MSA Vision and Mission, Movement Strategy and ensure coordination with other projects of the Med Sea Alliance.
- Develop opportunities for 30x30 work in new countries and high sea areas. Lead the development of project proposals and develop a portfolio of donors.
- Liaise regularly with participating organisations and external partners to create synergy. Build joint or complementary strategies and ensure coordination with other key players in the region (other coalitions and organisations, in particular Together for the Med and the tourism industry).
- Advise the participating organisations in developing effective and aligned policy/advocacy and communications work nationally and internationally as part of the campaign work plans. Support the participating organisations in maintaining relationships with government representatives and institutions.
- Build the representativity of the campaign at international forums. Act as the main spokesperson in events, meetings and media interviews.
- Work across all national, international and thematic (legal action, data analysis and economics) work packages of the initiative and integrate all streams of work into a coherent regional campaign. Develop clear roles and responsibilities and facilitate discussion, negotiation and decision making within the project teams.
- Identify potential new member organisations, in particular in the southern and eastern shores of the basin, that are key for implementing the 30x30 plan. Assess the need for a capacity building in the region.
- Keep track of budget and expenses and coordinate reporting (narrative and financial) with the finance and administration teams. Liaise with and supervise external consultants, drafts Terms of Reference and contracts with the participating organisations and the finance team.
- Prepare regular updates on project progress for the Med Sea Alliance Steering Group and all members. Develop progress reports and calls for funders.
- An experienced campaigner and leader
- Excellent organizational and team leadership skills
- Expertise in policy/advocacy, biodiversity and marine protected areas fields
- Knowledge of the region’s marine policy and conservation context
- Spokesperson skills
- Excellent written and spoken English (ability to speak one or more Mediterranean languages is an asset)
- Demonstrated capacity to operate effectively in cross-cultural environments
- Ability to work independently, remotely and across a dispersed team
- 7 + years of experience in leading international campaigns/projects/initiatives
- Advanced university degree in marine/environmental science or policy, or related field.
Responsible to: Director of the Med Sea Alliance
Location: Remote working in a European time zone, with a preference for a Med Coastal State location
Travel: 10%, dependent on COVID situation and protocols
Type of contract: contractual
Compensation: Commensurate with experience.
Working Hours: The position will be part of a remote team spanning different time zones and so the candidate must be able to accommodate regular early/late meetings to be able to work effectively. Periodic domestic and international travel is required.
Equal opportunities: While this position is part of the Med Sea Alliance and reports to its Steering Committee, Global Fishing Watch will act as the fiscal sponsor for the role. Global Fishing Watch is an equal opportunities employer. We hire and promote qualified professionals without regard to actual or perceived race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender, national origin, age, disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We believe that our mission is best advanced when welcoming the contributions of people of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. We are committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all employees and contractors of Global Fishing Watch and our partners, vendors and suppliers.
Please apply by Friday, 24 March
See more jobs at Global Fishing Watch
Apply for this job