About the Job
The primary function of the Web Designer is to conceptualize, design, and deliver website wireframes, mockups, and completed designs that meet the needs of the University and our users, while incorporating best design practices and current industry trends. The position, which is part of the Communications and Creative Services department, is responsible for the design of CCU’s websites, including new design initiatives and ongoing website improvements. The designer exhibits a strong passion for delivering creative solutions that are user-friendly, attractive, and superbly executed.
The designer works collaboratively with the Director of Digital Technology, Front-End Developer, and content managers on the creation and implementation of web and digital designs using Hannon Hill’s Cascade content management system. The designer is also responsible for designing other forms of digital media at the University, including content for digital signs.
Colorado Christian University is the premier interdenominational Christian university in Colorado and the Rocky Mountain region, delivering world-class education to thousands of students. The fully accredited, nonprofit university is located in Lakewood, Colorado, a suburb of Denver.
Colorado Christian University was founded in 1914. CCU’s motto is grace and truth. This motto comes from John 1.14: “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen His glory, the glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth,” (ESV).
CCU's mission is Christ-centered higher education transforming students to impact the world with grace and truth.
Colorado Christian University cultivates knowledge and love of God in a Christ-centered community of learners and scholars, with an enduring commitment to the integration of exemplary academics, spiritual formation, and engagement with the world. We envision graduates who think critically and creatively, lead with high ethical and professional standards, embody the character and compassion of Jesus Christ, treasure the gospel, and who thereby are prepared to impact the world in their callings.
CCU embraces an educational model that was present at the foundation of many of the great Western and American universities. It is made up of three pillars — competence, character, and Christ-centered faith. Secular universities have abandoned two of those pillars. We think this is a major oversight that eventually undermines education. Furthermore, we believe this classical educational model is both life-giving and greatly needed in our time.
A leader in higher education, CCU has been consistently ranked in the top 2% of colleges and universities nationwide for its core curriculum by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni. CCU has had 11 consecutive years of enrollment growth and has been named one of the five fastest-growing master’s granting universities by The Chronicle of Higher Education.
CCU offers more than 200 degree program options for traditional and adult students through its two colleges — the College of Undergraduate Studies and the College of Adult and Graduate Studies. More than 9,000 students attend the University on the main campus, in regional centers throughout Colorado, and online.
What is most appealing about working at CCU?
- Faith-friendly: CCU’s culture is unique to higher education. Where else can you pursue academic excellence yet read the Holy Bible, pray with teammates and students at work, and work to impact our culture in support of Christian values.
- Convictionally Christian: As a university, we have an enduring commitment to Christ, His kingdom, and the truth of God’s Word.
- Live out your calling: We are a traditional evangelical university where you can invest your God-given talents and abilities alongside coworkers and teammates while having a profound influence on students as they deepen their relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Equip students for kingdom work: You can be a part of helping students discover their callings and preparing them for positions of significant leadership in the church, business, government, education, and other professions, as a key part of our University's Strategic Priorities.
We’re looking for candidates who have:
- A bachelor’s degree in a related field or equivalent work experience.
- Extensive experience in using UX best practices to design solutions coupled with a solid understanding of mobile-first, responsive design.
- Strong creative, visual, technical, and problem-solving skills.
- Have expertise with digital graphics tools including Photoshop, Illustrator, and Adobe XD, and the ability to deliver detailed, well-organized files using those platforms.
- Are familiar with using web content management systems (CMS).
- Clearly and effectively communicate and collaborate with team members on design processes, ideas, and solutions.
- Are able to work with clients to understand detailed requirements — and then design complete user experiences that meet the client’s needs and vision.
- Are open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism.
- Have up-to-date experience in digital design and website UX trends.
- Are proficient with Microsoft Office products including Word, Outlook, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Experience working with higher education and/or degree completion websites is a plus.
- Have excellent attention to detail.
- Are skilled in communication, research, and analysis.
- Are self-motivated and able to work independently on a variety of projects.
- Exhibit a strong work ethic and are willing to do whatever it takes to get the job done.
- Can accept and give direction easily and assist other team members; ability to interact professionally with employees.
- Are committed to service, quality, and excellence.
Key Job Duties:
Contribute to CCU’s mission: CCU provides Christ-centered higher education to transform students to impact the world with grace and truth. The Web Designer contributes to this mission by designing compelling website experiences that reflect CCU's mission, values, and brand.
- Responsible for website design and user experience. Work with key internal constituents to understand their web communications goals and design site features and functionality to assist with those goals.
- Create designs that facilitate inquiry generation, event registration, and application submissions for the University’s admission teams. Design clear calls to action throughout the entire website — for all audiences.
- Collaborate and work closely with the Director of Digital Technology and the Front-End Developer to create and implement an intuitive and user-friendly experience for mobile and desktop website
- Design and deliver wireframes, mockups, and completed designs that are compatible with a wide variety of devices and viewports, using industry-standard tools such as Adobe Photoshop and XD.
- Ensure that all design aspects, including format, structure, navigation, visuals, color, and contrast meet web accessibility standards.
- Continually review website design and user interaction, monitoring heatmaps and website traffic, to identify areas for improved design, user experience (UX), and traffic flow.
- Develop site graphics by coordinating branding elements with other designers on the communications team. Ensure a strong and consistent brand identity.
- Research and showcase deep knowledge of industry trends and technologies.
- Identify existing design problems and devise elegant, high-quality
- Design graphics for CCU’s digital signs for both internal audiences and key visitors to CCU (prospective students, parents, donors, speakers, etc.).
- Help to design and test templates for CCU’s email marketing initiatives; ensure that these templates display consistently on all standard browsers.
- Perform regular reviews of competitor websites.
- Continually update job knowledge by participating in educational/training opportunities, utilizing professional organizations and networks, and reading professional publications.
While performing the duties of this job, you may be required to walk, stand, sit, reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, speak with clarity, and have appropriate vision and hearing capabilities. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Colorado Christian University expects all faculty and staff to become a part of the University community by participating in activities and events that occur on the campus throughout the year, which may occur during evenings and weekends.
What we offer our employees:
We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages to all employees. Our benefits package includes a tuition waiver program, excellent healthcare, generous paid time off, a matching 403(b) retirement plan, and additional organizational paid benefits and voluntary benefit offerings.
Colorado Christian University’s pay philosophy is based on internal and external data for pay equity; along with budgetary considerations for effective stewardship. Pay will be assigned based on relevant experience at a range of $50,000-55,000 annually. We reserve the right to pay an equitable rate that we believe is within our salary structure or that may fit a candidate’s qualifications or experience for the job. A wage range posted is not a guarantee of a specific wage range for a job offer. CCU reserves the right to make pay decisions based on economic and equity considerations to attract the best possible talent. CCU does not determine pay based on sex or any other protected status.
- Committed follower of Jesus Christ, who believes there is no salvation apart from faith in his atonement on the cross, by grace alone becoming "born again" thus beginning a personal relationship with Christ, the Son of God.
- Able to effectively communicate personal faith and apply biblical principles and convictions in the workplace. Must have a strong sense of calling to the ministry of Colorado Christian University.
- Regularly attend and be engaged in meaningful involvement in a Bible-believing evangelical local church. Knowledgeable about the Word of God and passionate about Christian education.
- Must be a traditional evangelical Christian whose lifestyle is in consonance with sound Christian principles, is compatible with CCU’s Statement of Faith, and is in agreement with the Strategic Priorities promulgated by the University.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Colorado Christian University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status. CCU is committed to an environment free from discrimination and harassment and calls on every member of the university community to be vigilant in deterring and reporting all violations. CCU does reserve the right to exercise preference on the basis of religion in all of its employment practices. All employees who work at CCU must demonstrate a spiritual testimony consistent with our evangelical mission and follow our lifestyle expectations.