Merit America Job Description Communications Manager
The Organization: Merit America
The American economy is broken. Today 53 million working adults–nearly half of the U.S. workforce–do not earn a living wage. And these workers have few options to advance: college is too long and expensive, full-time bootcamp programs don’t offer the flexibility they need, and online courses don’t have the structure or support to translate learning into a new job. This catch-22 perpetuates a cycle of poverty–talented workers stuck in low-wage roles, with no way to advance their ambition for themselves and their families.
Merit America creates a pathway to family-sustaining careers for Americans without 4-year degrees.
Our combination of online learning and best-in-class coaching prepares learners for entry level jobs in IT support, java development, and data analytics that usually offer twice what they were earning before the program. Merit works with companies to identify jobs that will be a great fit for our learners, and provides students with 12 weeks of job placement coaching and support to ensure they get the roles they will excel in.
At Merit America, we believe that communications are critical to building and maintaining trust among our core constituencies of learners, alums, funders, partners, and team members.
To that end, Merit America is looking for aCommunications Manager.
The primary mission of the Communications Manager is to ensure that Merit America’s external and internal communications are consistently excellent and a strong mirror of our current work and aspirational vision for our internal and external stakeholders.
The Communications Manager will report directly toAnne Keenan,VP of Brand and Marketing.
The responsibilities of the Communications Manager will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Work in partnership with our external communications firm and the VP of Brand & Marketing to develop and execute our annual communications plan
- Review data to understand the impact of our communications and change and pivot when necessary.
- Build robust processes to keep pace with Merit America’s rapid scale
- Develop, edit, and produce written materials for clarity, consistency, and excellence
- Interview learners to build our library of Success Stories
- Develop and oversee publications and materials from the Annual Report to emails to learners.
- Write talking points, drafts, and finished materials for a range of new and existing initiatives, studies and programs for both internal and external stakeholders
- Draft internal and external materials for leadership and publication.
- Coordinate communications across a range of internal teams, acting as the key point of contact
- Ensure that all communications, regardless of where they originate within Merit America, have a consistent and appropriate voice, tone and format and are timely and clear
- Collaborate across the organization and our PR partner to promote and share learner stories.
- Build and maintain our organizational, cross-department communications calendar and cadence
Skills and Competencies
At Merit America, we believe that if you can excel in the job, you should get the job - so we hire for skills, instead of specific years of experience or higher education requirements. Below are the skills that are relevant for thriving in this role:
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Proven expertise in providing strategic direction for communications practices
- Strong ability to adapt writing style to fit multiple mediums and audiences
- Superb editing and formatting skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Superior ability to motivate, mobilize, and achieve results from cross-department teams
- Comfort in writing across a variety of platforms
- Ability to envision, create, and operationalize new, organization-wide systems / processes for fast-scaling organizations
- Passion and savvy for communications as a primary tool to inform and inspire
- Keen interest in acting as an ambassador for Merit America
- Experience working with data to drive decisions
- Demonstrated passion for our organizational mission andimpact
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Strong interest in working across a range of diverse team members and stakeholders
- Committed to driving diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Energized by our organizational mission andimpact
- Proven history of living withinour values
- Sense of deep personal responsibility for our collective success
We know that women and people of color are often less likely to apply to a position if they don’t match 100% of the job qualifications. Don’t let that be the reason you miss out on this opportunity! We encourage you to apply if you can demonstrate many of these skills and competencies.
Compensation, Benefits and Start Date
This position isfull time
Career Development Opportunities: You’ll have an annual personal development stipend and education reimbursement plan to use towards workshops, books, or traditional classes.
Benefits:You’ll enjoybest-in-class benefits.
- 4-day work week
- Unlimited vacation time
- Flexible remote work policy
- Office closure during 10 federally recognized holidays
- Two-week office closure at the end of the year / start of the new year, inclusive of the Christmas and New Year’s holidays
- Health, dental, vision, life, short-term and long-term disability
- 4 months paid parental leave
- 401(k) retirement plan
- Flexible Spending Account – pre-tax health & dependent care
- Health Reimbursement Account employer-funded Benefit Card
Start Date: Preferred 06/15/2022
To learn more and apply, visithttps://www.meritamerica.org/join-our-team. Include a thoughtful cover letter with your application. Due to the high volume of candidates for every role, we unfortunately can only respond to candidates who move onto the next steps in the process.
What to expect in our process:
- Submit resume for the role
- 30 minute video interview with 2 team members, including our VP of Brand and Marketing
- Simulation exercise & work samples
- 60 minute video interview with members of our Brand team
- 30 minute call with our co-founder and co-CEO
- Reference checks (we will not check references until we are ready to move forward)
Building for Equity
Building an inclusive, high-performing team that is diverse across lines of personal identity is integral to our success and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer.
This means we do not discriminate against any job applicant or employee because of their race, ethnicity, color, religion, national origin, sex, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
We actively strive and evolve to develop and maintain workspaces that are fully inclusive. We encourage candidates from underrepresented groups to apply.
Still excited about our work? You can learn more about our work inthis videowe made with our founding partner, Google.