A home is the biggest investment most people make, and yet, it doesn’t come with a manual. That's why we’re building the only app homeowners need to effortlessly manage their homes — knowing what to do, when to do it, and who to hire. With Thumbtack, millions of people care for what matters most, and pros earn billions of dollars through our platform. And as one of the fastest-growing companies in a $600B+ industry — we must be doing something right.
We are driven by a common goal and the deep satisfaction that comes from knowing our work supports local economies, helps small businesses grow, and brings homeowners peace of mind. We’re seeking people who continually put our purpose first: advocating for pros and customers, embracing change, and choosing teamwork every day.
At Thumbtack, we're creating a new era of home care. If making an impact and the chance to do good inspires you, join us. Imagine what we’ll build together.
Thumbtack by the Numbers
- Available nationwide in every U.S. county
- 80 million projects started on Thumbtack
- 10 million 5-star reviews and counting
- Pros earn billions on our platform
- 1000+ employees
- $3.2 billion valuation (June, 2021)
About the Data Engineering Team
Thumbtack’s Data Engineering team is a centralized team that works closely with engineers, analysts, data scientists, and machine learning engineers to help design and curate data sets originating from internal and third-party sources to meet current and future needs. Over the next year, it will continue to build on its prior successes in building a more cohesive data warehouse while starting to work more deeply upstream to build data best practices into the full software development lifecycle (SDLC).
About the Role
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will work closely with product and engineering teams throughout Thumbtack, helping turn data into insight into action. The Data Engineering team is a hybrid-embedded team of engineers, some of whom consult directly with product teams to integrate data into the development lifecycle, and others who help build core pipelines and data models for use across the entire company. You’ll work to understand requirements, then design, deploy, test, and deploy data pipelines and transformations for use by Analysts, Machine Learning Engineers, and Data Scientists, and Product Managers. Major project areas include: working across product and marketing data teams to build a centralized customer data warehouse, developing advanced ingress/egress validation in the data lake, and modeling cost of supply acquisition for our two-sided marketplace.
In 2024, Thumbtack is significantly investing in Data and Data Engineering as a strategic growth area for the company. While there are interesting and difficult challenges across the entire focus area, we’re building on a solid foundation of the modern data stack, are committed to supporting each other, and have internal champions and strong advocates on our partner teams to ensure we succeed. Our primary mandate is to take these core building blocks of a modern data system, and extend them to make simple analysis simple, and deeply complex analysis easier. As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be instrumental in making this happen.
- Collaboratively refine and evangelize a comprehensive framework for integrating data-thinking into the software development lifecycle for product teams
- Design, build, and maintain core datasets, data marts, and feature stores that support a blend of mature products and features with a rapidly evolving product line, in partnership with analytics, data science, and machine learning
- Integrate with teams consisting of product engineers, analysts, data scientists, machine learning engineers throughout the organization to understand their data needs, and help design datasets with the same engineering rigor as any other software we design
- Drive data quality and best practices across key product and business areas
What you’ll need
If you don't think you meet all of the criteria below but still are interested in the job, please apply. Nobody checks every box, and we're looking for someone excited to join the team.
- 5+ years experience designing and building data sets and warehouses
- Hands-on experience with SQL, ETLs, Python, data pipelines, distributed systems
- Ability to understand the needs of and collaborate with stakeholders in other functions, especially Analytics, and identify opportunities for process improvements across teams
- Familiarity building the above with a modern data stack based on a cloud-native data warehouse, in our case we use BigQuery, dbt, and Apache Airflow, but a similar stack is fine
- Strong sense of ownership and pride in your work, from ideation and requirements-gathering to project completion and maintenance
Bonus points if you have
- Domain experience working with data in a relevant area, such as Marketing, Customer Behavior & Engagement, Finance, et al.
- Experience mentoring and coaching engineers
- Experience using and/or configuring Business Intelligence tools (Looker, Tableau, Mode, et al.)
- Experience working with semi-structured or unstructured data in a data lake or similar
- Understanding of database internals and query optimization
Thumbtack is a virtual-first company, meaning you can live and work from any one of our approved locations across the United States, Canada or the Philippines.* Learn more about our virtual-first working modelhere.
For candidates living in San Francisco / Bay Area, New York City, or Seattle metros, the expected salary range for the role is currently $180,000 - $250,000. Actual offered salaries will vary and will be based on various factors, such as calibrated job level, qualifications, skills, competencies, and proficiency for the role.
- Virtual-first working model coupled with in-person events
- 20 company-wide holidays including a week-long end-of-year company shutdown
- Libraries (optional use collaboration & connection hubs)in San Francisco and Salt Lake City
- WiFi reimbursements
- Cell phone reimbursements (North America)
- Employee Assistance Program for mental health and well-being
Learn More About Us
- Life @ Thumbtack Blog
- How Thumbtack is embracing virtual work
- Follow us on LinkedIn
- Meet the pros who inspire us
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, military or veteran status, genetic information, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, provincial, state, or local law. We also will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records, consistent with applicable law.
Thumbtack is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to individuals with disabilities. If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation for a medical condition or disability during any part of the application process, please contact:email@example.com.