BlueLabs is a leading provider of analytics services and technology dedicated to helping our partners do the most good with their data. Our team of analysts, scientists, engineers, and strategists hail from diverse backgrounds yet share a passion for using data to solve the world’s greatest social and analytical challenges. Since our inception we’ve worked with more than 400 organizations ranging from government agencies, advocacy groups, unions, political campaigns, and international groups. In addition, we service an ever-expanding portfolio of commercial clients in the automotive, travel, CPG, entertainment, healthcare, media, and telecom industries. Along the way, we’ve developed some of the most innovative tools available in analytics, media optimization, reporting, and influencer outreach.
About the team:
The Insights division creates and manages the underlying data that drives our day-to-day work. This is a new team at BlueLabs, created to meet our organization’s evolving client base and business needs, to ensure that BlueLabs is providing the most innovative data and analysis to our clients, all while developing and coaching team members to grow and respond to our company’s goals.
The BlueLabs Insights practice works with non-profit, political, and private sector clients to provide them with high quality analysis to better understand the environment they operate in and inform future decision making.
The Data Department is all about creating efficiency in the analytical process. The team helps ensure data pipelines are up and running, breaks down data silos to ensure we aren’t duplicating acquisition efforts, and creates documentation to help the Insights team better understand the data they are working with. The Data Department is also the go to for analyzing the value of new data for acquisition and exploring how to better utilize our internal data.
About the role:
As a Data Engineer I, you will help the Data Department and Insights project teams establish and maintain data pipelines for internal data sources and data sources related to our client engagements. The Data Engineer I is critical to our client work which requires proactive and continuous improvement as well as prompt responsiveness to changing circumstances – particularly in handling data quality issues and adjusting the team’s end-to-end pipeline deployments. Your track record stepping into this role should reflect domain knowledge in data ingestion and transformation, including experience adapting to changing technologies and/or client priorities. The Data Engineer reports to the Director, Data.
In this position you will:
- Analyze, establish and maintain data pipelines that regularly deliver transformed data to data warehouses
- Read in data, process and clean it, transform and recode it, merge different data sets together, reformat data between wide and long, etc.
- Create documentation for data pipelines and data sets
- Work closely with data analysts to understand, identify and effectively respond to their specific needs
- Coordinate with the vendors, clients, and other stakeholders as needed to stand-up or respond to issues with data pipelines
- Perform one-off data manipulation and analysis on a wide variety of campaigns data
- Produce scalable, replicable code and engineering solutions that help automate repetitive data management tasks
- Make recommendations and provide guidance on ways to make programs, campaigns, and data collection more efficient and effective
- Ensure a high-level of data accuracy through regular quality control
What we are seeking:
- About 2+ years of experience working with data pipeline solutions; beyond exact years, we seek candidates whose experience working with data pipelines provides the ability to proactively advise and then deploy solutions for our client based teams
- Experience processing data using scripting languages like Python or R
- Understanding of how to manipulate data using SQL or Python
- Experience designing data models that accounts for upstream and downstream system dependencies
- Experience working in modern data processing stacks using tools like Apache Airflow, AWS Glue, and dbt
- Experience databases such as Amazon Redshift, Vertica, BigQuery, or Snowflake and/or experience writing complex analytics queries in a general purpose database such as Oracle or Postgresql
- Familiarity with Git, or experience with other version control system
- A high attention to detail and ability to effectively manage and prioritize several tasks or projects concurrently
- Effective communication and collaboration skills when working with team members of varied backgrounds, roles, and functions
- Passion in applying your skills to our social mission to problem-solve and collaborate within a cross-functional team environment
- Ability to diagnose and improve database and query performance issues
You may also have experience:
- Working on political campaigns or advocacy
- Working with voter files or large consumer datasets
- Working with geospatial data
- Working with tools such as Phoenix, DNC Toolbox, VAN, PDI, or common finance, digital or field campaign platforms and their APIs
- Working with business intelligence software like Tableau, PowerBi, or Data Studio
What we offer:
BlueLabs offers a friendly work environment and competitive benefits package including:
- Salary: $85,000 annually
- Premier health, dental, and vision insurance plans
- 401K matching
- Unlimited vacation
- Paid sick, personal, and volunteer leave
- 15 weeks paid parental leave
- Professional development & learning stipend
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) stipend
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible working hours
- Telecommuting/Remote options
- Pre-tax transportation options
- And more!
While we prefer this position to be in the Washington, DC area, we are open to considering candidates from within the U.S.
The salary range for candidates who meet the minimum posted qualifications reflects the Company’s good faith understanding and belief as to the wage range, and is accurate as of the date of this job posting.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, as a company policy, BlueLabs strongly encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to beginning employment. BlueLabs adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations. Except where prohibited by law, applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment; if not the offer may be rescinded or employment terminated. BlueLabs will evaluate requests for reasonable accommodations for applicants unable to be vaccinated due to a religious belief, disability or pregnancy on an individualized basis in accordance with applicable laws.
At BlueLabs, we celebrate, support and thrive on differences. Not only do they benefit our services, products, and community, but most importantly, they are to the benefit of our team. Qualified people of all races, ethnicities, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, national origins, gender identities, marital status, religions, veterans statuses, disabilities and any other protected classes are strongly encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer, BlueLabs is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. BlueLabs endeavors to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified applicants with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If an applicant believes they require such assistance to complete the application or to participate in an interview, or has any questions or concerns, they should contact the Director, People Operations. BlueLabs participates in E-verify.EEO is the Law.
Collection of Personal Information Notice:
As you are likely aware, by submitting your job application, you are submitting personal information to our company. We collect various categories of personal information, including identifiers, protected classifications, professional or employment related information and sensitive personal information. We may retain and use this information for up to three years, in order to come to a decision on whether or not you are a good fit for our company. We may also retain or use some of this information to comply with any requirements under law, or for purposes of defending ourselves in any litigation. We do not use this information for any other purpose, or share it with third parties, unless you become an employee. To learn more, or to see our fully Notice to Job Applicants, please click here.