BlueLabs is a leading provider of analytics services and technology for a variety of industry clients: including government, business, and political campaigns. We help our clients optimize their engagements with individual customers, supporters, and stakeholders to achieve their goals. Simply put: we help our partners do the most good by getting the most from their data.
Today, our team of data analysts, scientists, engineers, and strategists come together from diverse backgrounds to share a passion for using data to solve the world’s greatest social and analytical challenges. We’ve served more than 400 organizations ranging from government agencies, advocacy groups, unions, political campaigns, international groups, and companies. Along the way, we’ve developed some of the most innovative tools available in analytics, media optimization, reporting, and influencer outreach-- serving a diverse set of industries, including the automotive, travel, consumer packaged goods, entertainment, healthcare, media, telecom, and more.
About the team:
The Engineering team at BlueLabs supports application access, asset management, and broader Operational logistics. We support a number of internal stakeholders including the Data Science, Insights, Civic Technology, and Ripple teams. Our work supports the underlying infrastructure and data pipelines which allow the rest of the teams conduct innovative analysis, propose improvements in government operations, and hone messaging for important campaigns. We work in fast-changing, ambiguous environment; so we embrace nuance, inclusivity, and complexity to deliver programs that work for the diverse groups of individuals who rely on us. You’ll be working with a team of professionals with various work backgrounds and experiences who seek to make Blue Labs a more efficient, secure, and positive place to work.
As a member of the team, you might answer questions like:
- What is a current need at BlueLabs, and how can we build a process that addresses it?
- How can we make existing systems more efficient and values-driven?
- How can I create a plan that sets BlueLabs, its staff, and its clients up for success?
About the role:
In this position you will join BlueLabs’ engineering team and help us develop and maintain various software products. Employing a balance of tactical problem solving and strategic future-proofing, you will ensure our teams’ and clients’ technology needs are met and advanced. This position reports directly to the Engineering Manager.
In this position you will:
- Be the primary point of responsibility for the design of AWS architecture at BlueLabs
- Design cloud infrastructure that is secure, scalable, and highly available on AWS
- Work collaboratively with data engineering to define infrastructure and deployment requirements
- Provision, configure and maintain AWS cloud infrastructure defined as code
- Maintain two fairly large Python command-line utilities/packages:https://github.com/bluelabsio/records-moverandhttps://github.com/bluelabsio/db-facts
- Maintain a slew of smaller command-line utilities that perform a wide variety of tasks, especially in the creation and deletion of user accounts, database maintenance, etc.
- Test and debug programs
- Improve functionality of existing systems
- Implement security and data protection solutions
- Assess and prioritize feature requests
- Coordinate with internal teams to understand user requirements and provide technical solutions
- Such other reasonable tasks as may be assigned by management.
What we are seeking:
- Experience working in a data-focused organization
- Understand the work of data engineers, analytics engineers, data scientists, and analysts–directexperience in one of these roles is not required.
- Have deep technology knowledge and enjoy the pursuit of solving problems, often in a changing environment
- Understand how to support a client-facing team, which often requires deadlines, client deliverables, and solutions that impact a diverse group of stakeholders
- Enjoy balancing your day between tactical, hands-on support and problem solving with analyzing processes and systems for future optimization
- Have a passion for evolving technology and finding the right fit for organizational mission
- Have deep respect for your colleagues no matter their role and you strive to exceed expectations with each project and problem you solve
- Approach your work in a collaborative, curious, and inclusive style, seeking others input, perspectives, and knowledge
- Seek to learn new technologies and skills, leveraging newly acquired knowledge to support and share with the team
Our codebase is primarily in Python so experience writing and debugging Python is a must. Below is a list of systems we currently use. Experience using comparable systems is acceptable.
- DevOps:GitOps + CircleCI + GitHub
- Access Control:AWS multi-account IAM patterns
- AWS Services:AWS Redshift + RDS + EKS + VPC + VPN
- Tools:project tools (Asana/Jira)
- One popular Python web-framework (like Django, Flask or Pyramid; we use Flask), and knowledge of Object-relational Mappers (ORMs)
- Object-Oriented Programming in a Design Patterns framework
- The Boto3 Python package, AWS CLI, and other tools that interact with AWS infrastructure; experience with similar cloud tools acceptable
- AWS Redshift, Apache Airflow, Numpy, Pandas, SQL, and other tools that data teams regularly use
- User authentication and authorization services
- Python testing frameworks such as unittest, Pytest, PyUnit
- Git, Github, and CI/CD development
- Python debugging tools beyond the print statement
- Bash scripting
You may also have experience with:
What We Offer:
BlueLabs offers a friendly work environment and competitive benefits package including:
- Premier health insurance plan
- 401K matching
- Unlimited vacation leave
- Paid sick, personal, and volunteer leave
- 13 paid holidays
- 15 weeks paid parental leave
- Professional development stipend & tuition reimbursement
- Macbook Pro laptop & tech accessories
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) stipend for mobile device
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Supportive & collaborative culture
- Flexible working hours
- Remote friendly (within the U.S.)
- Pre-tax transportation options for commuting to our office in Washington, DC
- Lunches and snacks
- And more!
The salary for this position is $120,000+ annually.
While we have an office in Washington, DC, we are open to considering candidates from within the U.S.
At BlueLabs, we celebrate, support and thrive on differences. Not only do they benefit our services, products, and community, but most importantly, they are to the benefit of our team. Qualified people of all races, ethnicities, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, national origins, gender identities, marital status, religions, veterans statuses, disabilities and any other protected classes are strongly encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer, BlueLabs is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. BlueLabs endeavors to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified applicants with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If an applicant believes they require such assistance to complete the application or to participate in an interview, or has any questions or concerns, they should contact the Director, People Operations. BlueLabs participates in E-verify.EEO is the Law(Link to external DOL site)