About the Job
The Senior Graphic Designer and Production Manager position is a management-level working role within the Communications and Creative Services (CCS) department, functioning in a creative team environment with other designers, writers, and project managers in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment.
This position creates and designs art, graphics, and other materials in various print and digital media formats for internal clients across all University departments.
As the highest-level design position in the University, the senior designer supervises other graphic designers, including freelance designers, overseeing and directing hundreds of creative projects annually.
In addition, the position directly manages dozens of design projects simultaneously from conception to completion, working directly with internal clients to define projects, present concepts, perform edits, and obtain creative and budget approvals. The senior designer also serves as the University’s overall production manager with all print and mailing vendors.
This position is considered a hybrid position. The selected finalist will be expected to work from the office in Lakewood, Colorado two days per month.
Colorado Christian University is the premier interdenominational Christian university in Colorado and the Rocky Mountain region, delivering world class education to thousands of students. The fully accredited, nonprofit University is located in Lakewood, Colorado, a suburb of Denver.
Colorado Christian University was founded in 1914. CCU’s motto is--grace and truth. This motto comes from John 1.14: “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, the glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.” (ESV)
CCU's mission is Christ-centered higher education transforming students to impact the world with grace and truth.
Colorado Christian University cultivates knowledge and love of God in a Christ-centered community of learners and scholars, with an enduring commitment to the integration of exemplary academics, spiritual formation, and engagement with the world. We envision graduates who think critically and creatively, lead with high ethical and professional standards, embody the character and compassion of Jesus Christ, treasure the gospel, and who thereby are prepared to impact the world in their callings.
CCU embraces an educational model that was present at the foundation of many of the great western and American universities. It is made up of three pillars—competence, character and Christ-centered faith. Secular universities have abandoned two of those pillars. We think this is a major oversight that eventually undermines education. Furthermore, we believe this classical educational model is both life-giving and greatly needed in our time.
A leader in higher education, CCU has been consistently ranked in the top 2 percent of colleges and universities nationwide for its core curriculum by the American Council of Trustees and Alumni. CCU has had ten consecutive years of enrollment growth and has been named one of the five fastest-growing master’s granting universities by The Chronicle of Higher Education.
CCU offers more than 200 degree program options for traditional and adult students through its two colleges — the College of Undergraduate Studies and College of Adult and Graduate Studies. More than 9,000 students attend the University on the main campus, in regional centers throughout Colorado, and online.
What is most appealing about working at CCU?
We’re looking for candidates who have:
- Faith-friendly: CCU’s culture is unique to higher education. Where else can you pursue academic excellence yet read the Holy Bible, pray with teammates and students at work, and work to impact our culture in support of Christian values?
- Convictionally Christian: As a university, we have an enduring commitment to Christ, his kingdom and the truth of God’s Word.
- Live out your calling: We are a traditional evangelical university where you can invest your God-given talents and abilities alongside coworkers and teammates, while having a profound influence on students as they deepen their relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Equip students for kingdom work: You can be a part of helping students discover their callings and preparing them for positions of significant leadership in the church, business, government, education, and other professions, as a key part of our University's Strategic Priorities.
Key Job Duties
- A bachelor’s degree in graphic design or a related field and 5-7 years of graphic design experience developing and presenting creative concepts.
- Excellent project management, presentation, and client-relationship skills.
- Proficiency in using design software on a Mac-based system, including but not limited to Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, Acrobat, Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Experience managing design projects from start to finish.
- Experience in print production for higher education or other non-profit is a plus. A visual portfolio of completed past projects is required.
- Professional demeanor and ability to work in a fast-paced office.
- Strong attention to detail and adherence to brand standards.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Contribute to CCU’s mission: CCU provides Christ-centered higher education to transform students to impact the world with grace and truth. The Senior Graphic Designer contributes to this mission by using their design skills and ability to solve problems and tell the CCU story through compelling print and digital media.
- Manage the full design production processes for the University, serving as the primary follow-through representative with print vendors to ensure final aspects of the design workflow process and printing are delivered on time and within budget.
- Prepare Requests for Quotations (RFQs) and acquire print bids from vendors for quote. Effectively communicate with CCU project managers and vendors regarding delivery timelines, etc.
- Offer printing recommendations based on an understanding of the difference between offset and digital printing and to maximize results for the internal client.
- Package artwork and upload to vendor File Transfer Protocol (FTP) sites.
- Review color proofs for design and text accuracy.
- Manage all design files including: InDesign files, PDF proofs, RFQs, vendor estimates, and other design-related files and materials.
- Recommend effective designs according to postal regulations, as well the best postage choice for a client in order to maximize impact of direct mail pieces.
- Communicate and enforce the University-wide branding process, as well as the adherence to visual identity/branding guidelines.
- Create quality original artwork or edit existing artwork for all CCU departments and internal clients that align with corporate identity and brand standards.
- Project manage a number of design projects, defining the scope of the project, presenting creative concepts, and overseeing the printing/mailing/delivery of projects.
- Collaborate with the CCS team in brainstorming sessions and develop creative strategies for new campaigns and projects.
- Conduct continual skills development and design trend research.
- Supervise other graphic designers and contract designers, assign tasks, oversee and coach them in the creative process, and ensure on-time and on-budget delivery of projects.
- Oversee the design of all projects assigned to CCS to ensure consistency with the University brand.
- Provide professional development ideas and opportunities to designers to help enhance design skills related to University projects.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
While performing the duties of this job, you may be required to walk, stand, sit, reach with hands and arms, balance, stoop, speak with clarity, and have appropriate vision and hearing capabilities. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Colorado Christian University expects all faculty and staff to become a part of the University community by participating in activities and events that occur on the campus throughout the year, which may occur during evenings and weekends.
What we offer our employees:
We offer competitive compensation and benefits packages to all employees. Our benefit package includes: a tuition waiver program, excellent healthcare, generous paid time off, matching 403(b) retirement plan, and additional organizational paid benefits and voluntary benefit offerings.
Colorado Christian University’s pay philosophy is based on internal and external data for pay equity; along with budgetary considerations for effective stewardship. Pay will be assigned based on relevant experience at a range of $55,000-$60,000 annually. We reserve the right to pay an equitable rate that we believe is within our salary structure or that may fit a candidate’s qualifications or experience for the job. A wage range posted is not a guarantee of a specific wage range for a job offer. CCU reserves the right to make pay decisions based on economic and equity considerations to attract the best possible talent. CCU does not determine pay based on sex or any other protected status.
- Committed follower of Jesus Christ, who believes there is no salvation apart from faith in his atonement on the cross, by grace alone becoming "born again" thus beginning a personal relationship with Christ, the Son of God.
- Able to effectively communicate personal faith and apply biblical principles and convictions in the workplace. Must have a strong sense of calling to the ministry of Colorado Christian University.
- Regularly attend and be engaged in meaningful involvement in a Bible-believing evangelical local church. Knowledgeable about the Word of God and passionate about Christian education.
- Must be a traditional evangelical Christian whose lifestyle is in consonance with sound Christian principles, is compatible with CCU’s Statement of Faith, and is in agreement with the Strategic Priorities promulgated by the University.
Review of applications will continue until the position is filled. Colorado Christian University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, sex, age, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status. CCU is committed to an environment free from discrimination and harassment and calls on every member of the university community to be vigilant in deterring and reporting all violations. CCU does reserve the right to exercise preference on the basis of religion in all of its employment practices. All employees who work at CCU must demonstrate a spiritual testimony consistent with our evangelical mission and follow our lifestyle expectations.