BlueLabs is a leading provider of analytics services and technology dedicated to helping our partners do the most good with their data. Our team of analysts, scientists, engineers, and strategists hail from diverse backgrounds yet share a passion for using data to solve the world’s greatest social and analytical challenges. Since our inception we’ve worked with more than 400 organizations ranging from government agencies, advocacy groups, unions, political campaigns, and international groups. In addition, we service an ever-expanding portfolio of commercial clients in the automotive, travel, CPG, entertainment, healthcare, media, and telecom industries. Along the way, we’ve developed some of the most innovative tools available in analytics, media optimization, reporting, and influencer outreach.
About the team
The BlueLabs Data Science Team develops deep expertise and uses data to inform strategic advice to our clients. Our polling work designs, implements, and fields tools that power our analysis and messaging. We take a deep dive into research that looks at what motivates people to vote, buy a product, hold an opinion, and whether campaigns are successful. Our statistical research identifies areas where we can better assess the impact of various factors in the campaign and polling areas. Our fast-paced, impact-driven team conducts innovative analysis to support our clients’ work. We bring definition to challenging problems, creatively identify data sources, then design analytics that accurately measure impact and move the needle every day. We work in changing, ambiguous environments, so we embrace nuance, inclusivity, and complexity to deliver programs that work for the diverse groups of individuals who rely on us.
About the role:
The Director of Data Science will be responsible for leading in all aspects of BlueLabs’ modeling work and experimental and causal inference work, including statistical methodology, validation, and innovation. This person will manage the process, analysis and execution of modeling and experimental design and guide our Data Science team’s efforts, translating them for other clients and projects. This leadership position will directly manage a team of data scientists and have experience coaching, guiding, developing, and mentoring a team.
In this position, you will:
- Lead on modeling methodology, including the introduction of new and innovative solutions to existing problems, as well as the methodology of causal inference and experimental design
- Build and maintain team-wide statistical best practices for the execution of our research projects
- Manage a team of 10+ data scientists and analysts
- Create and deploy team-wide standards for the development, assessment and QC of our core processes and functions
- Partner with our Client Solutions team to plan and execute models and research designs including developing proposals on the feasibility of modeling and/or experiments
- Develop and implement training and professional development programs for the Data Science team to continuously improve and grow team members’ skill sets, implementation and refinement of statistical methodology, and the vetting and incorporation of new techniques
- Coordinate with team members within and across-divisions on the surveys that will inform the modeling and research efforts
- Ensure that research adheres to statistical rigor
- Advise on other research priorities for clients such as message testing and qualitative research
- Lead BlueLabs internal research on modeling best practices, validations and techniques
- Work alongside our Client Solutions and Insights teams to allocate staff time and resources to accomplish client deliverables
- Act as the internal authority on new research in the community
What we are seeking:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field with statistical background
- 5+ years’ experience in varying aspects of statistical modeling and causal research including the deployment of models in a real world setting
- 2+ years experience leading, coaching, developing, and working with technical teams
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience, both in writing and verbally
- Demonstrated experience defending statistical methods and detailing their implications as well as manipulating different data sets to identify clear insights
- A strong sense of process, organization, and collaboration
- Experience with programming languages such as Python and SQL and statistical software such as R, SPSS, etc.
- Proven success conducting data analysis on tight deadlines where the problem is unstructured, or the guidance is open ended
- Expertise in various spreadsheet and presentation softwares including, but not limited to, Excel, Google Sheets, PowerPoint, and Keynote
- Passion for harnessing data-driven solutions to improve social outcomes and dedication to finding the best solutions for our clients and stakeholders
- A keen sense of clear design and attention to detail, with the ability to recognize patterns and to check assumptions - whether they are your own or someone else’s
- Ability to distill requests with a lot of detail down to the most important points and find the most relevant information in a sea of facts
What recruitment looks like:
The process for this position will include an HR phone screen, a technical assessment, and two virtual interviews. During the interview process, you will be asked questions to describe your background and experience relevant to the position. This may include providing examples of projects you worked on, tools or applications you've used, and knowledge you have applied. We often look for explanations of "how or why" so it's helpful to have details ready.
What We Offer:
The salary range for this position is $130,000-$160,000.
BlueLabs offers a friendly work environment and competitive benefits package including:
- Premier health insurance plan
- 401K matching
- Unlimited vacation leave
- Paid sick, personal, and volunteer leave
- 13 paid holidays
- 15 weeks paid parental leave
- Professional development stipend & tuition reimbursement
- Macbook Pro laptop & tech accessories
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) stipend for mobile device
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Supportive & collaborative culture
- Flexible working hours
- Remote friendly (within the U.S.)
- Pre-tax transportation options for commuting to our office in Washington, DC
- Lunches and snacks
- And more!
While we have an office in Washington, DC, we are open to considering candidates from within the U.S.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, as a company policy, BlueLabs strongly encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to beginning employment. BlueLabs adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations. Except where prohibited by law, applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment; if not the offer may be rescinded or employment terminated. BlueLabs will evaluate requests for reasonable accommodations for applicants unable to be vaccinated due to a religious belief, disability or pregnancy on an individualized basis in accordance with applicable laws.
At BlueLabs, we celebrate, support and thrive on differences. Not only do they benefit our services, products, and community, but most importantly, they are to the benefit of our team. Qualified people of all races, ethnicities, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, national origins, gender identities, marital status, religions, veterans statuses, disabilities and any other protected classes are strongly encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer, BlueLabs is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. BlueLabs endeavors to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified applicants with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If an applicant believes they require such assistance to complete the application or to participate in an interview, or has any questions or concerns, they should contact the Director, People Operations. BlueLabs participates in E-verify.EEO is the Law(Link to external DOL site)