Sr. QA Automation Engineer
Learning Ally is a leading nonprofit education solutions organization that transforms the lives of struggling learners by delivering proven literacy solutions that help students reach their potential. Its mission is to radically change education, transforming the lives of children by providing solutions based on the Whole Child Literacy System to help them succeed academically, build self-confidence, and thrive in school and beyond.
65% of fourth-graders read below proficiency and are 400% more likely to drop out of high school. And, for “most at risk” students (students of color, low income, English Language Learners, and students with learning disabilities) the problem is even more acute.
Learning Ally seeks to break this cycle. Our While Child Literacy System interacts at all levels of the educational system by simultaneously addressing the Whole Student and the Whole Educator.
To drive this goal, we are building and expanding our next-generation platform to enable a new portfolio of products and services that address a student’s cognitive, environmental, and literacy learning variables. Our goal is to create immersive digital learning experiences that help develop a student’s love of reading and support an educator’s understanding of their role in student success.
Our platform is built using microservices with APIs written in GraphQL and REST. We use Node.js and React and prefer typescript in our codebase. We deploy via Jenkins pipelines using Kubernetes on Amazon Web Services. That being said, we are not dogmatic and believe in using the best tool for the job.
We look for teammates who think about the platform and products holistically, build new services and features that are reliable and maintainable. If you are humble, curious, resourceful, and will challenge us to think differently about solutions, this is an incredible opportunity to drive change in education and improve how millions of students learn.
You are an experienced QA Automation Engineer with a track record of manual and automated testing across a variety of platforms. Having a good understanding of current testing philosophies for all phases of the software development lifecycle you are ready to establish a best-in-class QA practice for Learning Ally. You are an expert in automation platforms and are ready to design and build from the ground up. You understand how to collaborate closely with engineering teams and business stakeholders and have a true ownership-oriented mindset, an extremely high bar for quality output, and are excited by the prospect of working at a rapidly growing organization.
- Build a robust and impactful test automation framework leveraged across multiple teams
- Evolve/maintain the testing infrastructure once built
- Develop test cases, plans, and procedures for various types of testing
- Work closely with business stakeholders and engineers to plan, develop and execute test coverage across all apps and platforms.
- Provide leadership to the QA team by developing and empowering staff, cultivating relationships, putting staff in a position to succeed, meeting their personal career goals while also achieving organizational goals
- Engage in daily oversight and guidance of problem requests, prioritization, corrective and preventive actions, and change controls to deliver customer satisfaction.
- Manage operational performance by identification, monitoring, and trending of quality metrics
- Assist with external and internal audits
- Lead ongoing accessibility testing efforts, including working collaboratively with developers to proactively identify and remediate functions that do not meet Learning Ally’s accessibility standards.
- Foster a working environment that supports Learning Ally’s cultural values. Act as a role model and engage in discussions and feedback to ensure the intent of the culture statement is integrated into day-to-day activities, planning, and communications.
Skills and Experience
- 6+ years working in Quality Assurance and Software Development with experience in manual testing as well as automated testing of web applications and web services.
- 4+ years of experience with API testing tools and UI automation tools
- 2+ years of leadership experience
- Experience with automated testing tools such as Selenium, Cucumber, Cypress, or similar tool, required
- Competency with databases including MSSQL/MySQL/NoSQL
- Experience in software development lifecycle including defect resolution process
- Experience in Web Services/API test automation
- Experience with Selenium Web Driver using JAVA to test front-end web-based applications
- Experience in test automation and proficiency creating automated unit, build, and regression test suites
- Experience leading conversations with customers and business stakeholders
- Ability to work with diverse teams, guide teams through decision making, facilitate agreement, build collaborative relationships, and focus on customer needs
- Candidates must have proven analytical ability and strong communication skills
- Experience executing and evaluating load test results
About Learning Ally
Founded in 1948 as Recording for the Blind, to help soldiers who lost their sight in combat continue their education with audiobook products, Learning Ally has evolved to help individuals understand the unique ways they learn and match them to the solutions that enable personal achievement.
Today, Learning Ally reaches over 1,600,000 students, 260,000 educators, and 21,600 schools across the country and continues to expand its reach. With a continued commitment to supporting students who learn differently, Learning Ally has joined researchers and neuroscientists from renowned institutions including UCSF and MIT, to better understand and address learning issues. You will find that our culture is one that is very committed to our mission, innovation, professional growth, diversity, equity, and inclusion.
Learning Ally is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status.