BlueLabs is a leading provider of analytics services and technology dedicated to helping our partners do the most good with their data. Our team of analysts, scientists, engineers, and strategists hail from diverse backgrounds yet share a passion for using data to solve the world’s greatest social and analytical challenges. Since our inception we’ve worked with more than 400 organizations ranging from government agencies, advocacy groups, unions, political campaigns, and international groups. In addition, we service an ever-expanding portfolio of commercial clients in the automotive, travel, CPG, entertainment, healthcare, media, and telecom industries. Along the way, we’ve developed some of the most innovative tools available in analytics, media optimization, reporting, and influencer outreach.
About the team:
The Engineering team at BlueLabs supports application access, asset management, and broader operational logistics. We work with a number of internal stakeholders including the Data Science, Insights, Civic Technology, and Ripple teams. Our work supports the underlying infrastructure and data pipelines which allow the rest of the teams to conduct innovative analyses, propose innovative improvements in government operations, and hone messaging for important campaigns. We work in changing, ambiguous environments, so we embrace nuance, inclusivity, and complexity to deliver programs that work for the diverse groups of individuals who rely on us. You’ll be working with a team of professionals with various work backgrounds and experiences who seek to make Blue Labs a more efficient, compliant, and positive place to work.
As a member of the team, you might answer questions like
- What is a current need at BlueLabs, and how can we build a process that addresses it?
- How can we make existing systems more efficient and values-driven?
- How can I create a plan that sets BlueLabs, its staff, and its clients up for success?
- How can I best position my team to plan for the challenges of tomorrow and their professional development and growth?
- How can I proactively identify roadblocks and break them down for my team before they get hit?
About the position:
The Engineering Manager will help support, lead, and develop the software engineering and technology that powers all of our programs across all of BlueLabs. Your team will work to ensure all data, applications, and resources are available and accessible. Working collaboratively with team members, you will also strategize, develop, and implement efficient and secure structures which support our client work.
In this position you will:
- Manage a 5-person Engineering team with a wide variety of skill sets and responsibilities
- Conduct regular code reviews in a variety of languages, including python, c# and typescript.
- Regularly contribute, in a hands-on manner, writing code and reviewing code written by members of the Engineering team
- Manage and drive procurement for third-party products that the Engineering team depends on
- Lead and monitor the successful development and delivery of team projects and operations
- Continuously develop cross-functional relationships with product, engineering, and key stakeholders across teams and domains
- Mentor and manage engineers from entry-level to senior, and coach and guide direct reports through their career development
- Articulate desired outcomes and empower engineers to develop simple solutions to sophisticated problems
- Build relationships with internal stakeholders such as Data Scientists, Product Managers, Software Engineers, and business leaders to understand data needs and deliver on those needs
- Partner with the VP of Engineering to help determine Engineering team strategy and tackle team-specific or process inefficiencies
- Communicate technical decisions to the right people, resolve blocking issues, and collaborate with other leaders across the organization
- Evaluate and implement new and emerging technology solutions and methodologies to improve and accelerate the Engineering ecosystem
Who You Are:
- 5+ years experience in software development; proven success contributing to code bases, including Python, C#, Typescript, or similar interpreted programming language
- A minimum of 2+ years experience leading a team of Engineers with a proven ability to coach, mentor, and develop a growing team; proven track record of steering regular one-on-one meetings with direct reports and tailoring their rhythm and content to the needs of the individual
- Deep technical knowledge and experience working in a data-focused organization or a passion for data and analytics
- Experience in AWS or other cloud provider infrastructure including account management, user management, role-based permissions, and infrastructure as code
- A bias for action and a passion for solving problems, often in a changing environment, and the flexibility to adopt new technologies when the time is right
- Familiarity with data-focused tooling at any part of the stack, including Airflow, cloud data warehouses, analytical/BI tooling, and data science tooling
- Demonstrated proficiency with software engineering methodologies and a disciplined approach to testing and driving reductions in technical debt while ensuring that documentation is prioritized
- Ability to strike a balance between providing tactical, hands-on support with analyzing processes and systems for future optimization
- Experience running Agile or similar project management ceremonies, including efficient daily standups, iteration planning meetings, and retrospectives; ability to convert long-term projects into manageable tickets for engineers with the help of senior staff
- Familiarity with web development at whichever part of the stack and the tools used to serve web applications, including Docker containerization, Kubernetes, and Helm
- A collaborative, curious, and inclusive approach to work and a deep respect for colleagues
- Experience with Git and version control, specifically in GitHub
- Demonstrated understanding of CI/CD pipelines, why they’re important, and tools like CircleCI, GitHub Actions, or Jenkins
During the interview process, you will be asked questions to describe your background and experience relevant to the position. This may include providing examples of projects you worked on, tools or applications you've used, and knowledge you have applied. We often look for explanations of "how or why" so it's helpful to have details ready.
What we offer:
The salary range for this position is $130,000-$150,000.
BlueLabs offers a friendly work environment and competitive benefits package including
- Premier health insurance plan
- 401K matching
- Unlimited vacation
- Paid sick, personal, and volunteer leave
- 15 weeks paid parental leave
- Professional development & learning stipend
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) stipend
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Flexible working hours
- Telecommuting/Remote options
- Pre-tax transportation options
- And more!
While we prefer this position to be in the Washington, DC area, we are open to considering candidates from within the U.S.
To protect the health and safety of our workforce, as a company policy, BlueLabs strongly encourages all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to beginning employment. BlueLabs adheres to all federal, state and local COVID-19 vaccination regulations. Except where prohibited by law, applicants who receive a conditional offer of employment will be required to produce proof of vaccination status prior to their first day of employment; if not the offer may be rescinded or employment terminated. BlueLabs will evaluate requests for reasonable accommodations for applicants unable to be vaccinated due to a religious belief, disability or pregnancy on an individualized basis in accordance with applicable laws.
At BlueLabs, we celebrate, support and thrive on differences. Not only do they benefit our services, products, and community, but most importantly, they are to the benefit of our team. Qualified people of all races, ethnicities, ages, sex, genders, sexual orientations, national origins, gender identities, marital status, religions, veterans statuses, disabilities and any other protected classes are strongly encouraged to apply. As an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer, BlueLabs is committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. BlueLabs endeavors to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical or mental limitations of qualified applicants with a disability unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. If an applicant believes they require such assistance to complete the application or to participate in an interview, or has any questions or concerns, they should contact the Director, People Operations. BlueLabs participates in E-verify.