Learning Ally is a leading nonprofit education solutions organization that transforms the lives of struggling learners by delivering proven literacy solutions that help students reach their potential. Its mission is to radically change education, transforming the lives of children by providing reading interventions and solutions to help them succeed academically, build self-confidence, and thrive in school and beyond.
65% of fourth graders read below proficiency and are 400% more likely to drop-out of high school. And, for “most at risk” students (students of color, low income, English Language Learners and students with learning disabilities) the problem is even more acute.
Learning Ally seeks to break this cycle. With early student assessment, intervention and accommodation and professional development for educators, Learning Ally can identify and prevent learning issues by working with schools and educators to support new and struggling readers. Our solutions build a strong foundation for independent, engaged learners who are empowered to achieve socially, emotionally, and academically, regardless of background or learning difference.
Founded in 1948 as Recording for the Blind, to help soldiers who lost their sight in combat continue their education with audiobook products, Learning Ally has evolved to help individuals understand the unique ways they learn and match them to the solutions that enable personal achievement.
Today, Learning Ally reaches over 1,600,000 students, 260,000 educators and 21,600 schools across the country and continues to expand its reach. With a continued commitment to supporting students who learn differently, Learning Ally has joined researchers and neuroscientists from renowned institutions including UCSF and MIT, to better understand and address learning issues. You will find that our culture is one that is very committed to our mission, innovation, professional growth, and diversity, equity, and inclusion.
As a Frontend Engineer, you will be responsible for both driving the strategy and execution of Learning Ally’s goal to develop and implement a scalable digital platform that allows us to deliver a portfolio of learning solutions to students, supported by teachers and parents.
This individual will work with a team of talented developers and internal stakeholders to ensure that we are balancing both short-term and long-term goals. You will work closely with current teams and systems to integrate existing functionality into a platform solution that will allow for multiple cross-functional teams to concurrently produce value.
We look for teammates who are humble, curious, kind, proactive, resourceful, and will challenge us to think differently about solutions. This is an incredible opportunity for someone who wants to drive change in education and improve how millions of students learn.
What you’ll do:
- Set technology standards and direct the execution of initiatives to develop a learning management platform from inception through implementation.
- Work with engineering teams to solve a class of problems highly technical in nature: (Architecture, Code, Scale and Security)
- Work with our team to establish and improve internal processes and workflows
- Contribute to growth and development of the software engineering team
- Provide technical guidance and coaching to peers
- Exhibit a hunger for continuous learning and improvement
- Work with an entrepreneurial mindset
What we’re looking for:
- 5+ years of experience in software development, primarily on frontend
- A desire to think deeply about user experience and API design
- Awareness of cross-browser compatibility issues and client-side performance considerations.
- Familiar with authentication mechanisms and frameworks between backend applications and UIs.
- Proficient technical knowledge of current tools and best practices at scale: (Deployment, Monitoring, Logging, Cloud services/infrastructure).
- Deep understanding of Object-Oriented Programming and Design, data structures, and algorithms.
- Proficient with Node.js and related frameworks.
- Experience with React and React Native.
- Relational SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Experience with RESTful APIs and GraphQL.
- Experience managing CI/CD tools (e.g. Jenkins, Github Actions, etc)
- Experience deploying applications via CI/CD pipelines
- Experience managing Docker, Kubernetes, or other container systems
- Education Technology experience preferred.
- Ability to work in the US.
Learning Ally is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.